Social Impact & Sustainability
Make a positive change
The potential for the positive impact of business on our society and environment has never been more important. Rotman offers a range of ways to explore social impact, including a corporate sustainability major.
Social impact and sustainability explore the evolving relationship between business, society and the environment, with the intent of building leadership and long-term competitive advantage through responsible management.
You might consider pursuing this major if you’re interested in:
- Environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues in business
- Business strategies that pursue sustained, long-term resource efficiency
- Innovation strategies that employ sustainability as a source of new, profitable growth
- Corporate social responsibility or corporate citizenship strategy and programs
- Social entrepreneurship or social innovation
- Responsible investment or social finance
Requirements to Complete the Major
You must successfully complete 3 of the following elective courses, at least 2 of which must be from List A.
- Sustainability Strategy
- Sustainable Finance
- Leading Social Innovation
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Clean Energy: Policy Context and Business Opportunities
- Social Value and Impact Investing
- Designing for Equality
- Catastrophic Failure in Organizations
- Marketing and Behavioural Economics
- Business Design Practicum
- Top Manager’s Perspective
- Environmental Finance and Sustainable Investing
Independent study projects (ISPs) and consulting projects (ICPs) on related topics are also possible. They must be overseen by a Rotman faculty member.
Please consult with the Registrar’s Office (RO) for more information.
Note that other courses offered at Rotman or elsewhere at the University of Toronto,such as the School of the Environment or other schools, may be considered, but must be approved by the major coordinator.
You should consider participating in the many related co-curricular activities offered by Rotman Net Impact as well as by the Career Centre, our many research centres, and elsewhere at the University of Toronto.
- Rotman Net Impact, the local chapter of an international organization of MBA students interested in sustainability
- Nexus Consulting Group, a student-run management consulting firm that helps companies, social enterprises and non-profits succeed
- Sustainability related events and speakers series, featuring high-profile sustainability thought leaders
- Related research institutes, such as:
Major in Sustainability