Strengths of the Program
Our Strength: The Marketing Program
The PhD Program in Marketing at the Rotman School is designed to prepare students for academic careers in marketing at research-oriented universities. Students benefit from interaction with faculty, a fully funded program, and our excellent placement record. The Marketing area is a key strength of Rotman, the business school at the University of Toronto.
The PhD Program in Marketing at the Rotman School is designed to prepare students for academic careers in marketing at research-oriented universities. The success of the program is reflected in our placements: graduates from our program have taken positions at NYU Stern, CUHK, Tsinghua University UC Berkeley, UBC, INSEAD, Northwestern, USC and other top schools. The Rotman PhD Program was ranked 4th in the 2015 Financial Times list of the world’s top doctoral programs, ahead of top-tier schools such as MIT, Northwestern and INSEAD.
The philosophy of the program is that in order to become an effective marketing scholar a student must develop a thorough understanding of marketing institutions and problems, the methodological capability to analyze those problems rigorously, and the ability to communicate research findings via writing and oral presentations. The PhD Program in Marketing at Rotman is structured to accomplish these objectives. It consists of a course-work component and an original research component, and can only be done on a full-time basis.
Contact the PhD Program at Rotman
Contact the Marketing PhD Coordinator Mengze Shi
What makes out Marketing program exceptional?
- Faculty who are leaders in the marketing profession and consistently serve as journal editors, and board members for marketing journals and for journals in the fields of Psychology, Sociology and Economics.
- A program based on intense interaction between professors and students and an immediate introduction to original research.
- Full funding for all PhD students through a financial aid package that covers tuition and provides an attractive stipend that can continue for up to five years in the program.
- Past placements: New York University, University of Southern California, MIT, INSEAD, UCLA, Northwestern University, Washington University, Queen's University, National University of Singapore, Singapore Management University, Tsinghua University, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Location: the Rotman School is in the heart of North America’s third-largest financial centre.