Jennifer L. Berdahl
Jennifer Berdahl is a Professor of Organizational Behaviour at the Rotman. Berdahl studies social power, status, and identity in groups and within organizations. Her research focuses on workplace mistreatment as a means of establishing, maintaining, and reinforcing social inequalities at work. Berdahl is the Associate Editor of the Academy of Management Annals, on the editorial boards of the Journal of Applied Psychology and the Journal of Organizational Behavior, and has guest edited special issues of Social Justice Research and the Journal of Social Issues.
Selected Publications - Papers
- "I wish I had...": Target reflections on responses to workplace mistreatment; Salin, D., Tenhiälä, A., Roberge, M. E. & Berdahl, J. L.; Human Relations; 2014
- Cultural schemas, social class, and the flexibility stigma; Williams, J. C., Blair-Loy, M. & Berdahl, J. L.; Journal of Social Issues; Issue: 69; 2013; Pages: 209-234.
- Workplace mistreatment of middle class workers based on sex, parenthood, and caregiving; Berdahl, J. L & Moon, S. H.; Journal of Social Issues; Issue: 69; 2013; Pages: 341-366.
- Prescriptive stereotypes and workplace consequences for East Asians in North America; Berdahl, J. L. & Min, J. A.; Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology; Issue: 18; 2012; Pages: 141-152. Video interview: http://ow.ly/meNSx
- Sexual Harassment; Berdahl, J. L., & Raver, J. L.; in S. Zedeck (Ed.), Handbook of I/O Psychology, Vol. 3. American Psychological Association.; Issue: 3; 2011; Pages: 641-669.
- Susan Fiske; Berdahl, J. L.; in K. Dowding (Ed.), Encylopedia of Power; 2011; Pages: 258-259.
- Sexual behavior at work: Fun or folly?; Berdahl, J. L. & Aquino, K.; Journal of Applied Psychology; Issue: 94; 2009; Pages: 34-47.
- Stereotypes of Latinos and Whites: Do they guide actual perceptions in groups?; Jimeno-Ingrum, D., Berdahl, J. L. & Lucero-Wagoner, B.; Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology; Issue: 15; 2009; Pages: 158-164.
- Sexual harassment in organizations: A decade of research in review; Cortina, L. M. & Berdahl, J. L.; in C. L Cooper & J. Barling (Eds.), Handbook of Organizational Behavior; Issue: 1; 2008; Pages: 469-497
- Social power in action; Berdahl, J. L.; Social Justice Research; Issue: 21; 2008; Pages: 255-262.
- Being distinctive versus being conspicuous: The effects of numeric status and sex-stereotyped tasks on individual performance in groups; Chatman, J. A., Boisnier, A. D., Spataro, S. E., Anderson, C., & Berdahl, J.; Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes; 2008; Pages: 141-160.
- Social power; Fiske, S. T. & Berdahl. J. L.; in A. Kruglanski & E. T. Higgins (Eds.), Social Psychology: A Handbook of Basic Principles; 2007; Pages: 678-692
- The sexual harassment of uppity women,; Berdahl, J. L.; Journal of Applied Psychology; Issue: 92; 2007; Pages: 425-437.
- Harassment based on sex: Protecting social status in the context of gender hierarchy,; Berdahl, J. L.; Academy of Management Review; Issue: 22; 2007; Pages: 641-658.
- Workplace harassment: Double jeopardy for minority women,; Berdahl, J. L. & Moore, C.; Journal of Applied Psychology; Issue: 91; 2006; Pages: 426-436.
- Effects of power on emotion and expression during a controversial group discussion,; Berdahl, J. L. & Martorana, P.; European Journal of Social Psychology: Special Issue on Social Power and Group Processes; Issue: 36; 2006
- Contemporary issues in group research,; Berdahl, J. L. & Henry, K. B.; in S. Wheelan (Ed.), Handbook of Group Research and Practice; 2005; Pages: 19-37
- Men, women, and leadership centralization in groups over time,; Berdahl, J. L. & Anderson, C.; Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice; Issue: 9; 2005; Pages: 45-57.
- Understanding groups from a feminist perspective,; Meyers, R. A., Berdahl, J. L., Brashers, D. E., Considine, J. R., Kelly, J. R., Moore, C., Peterson, J. L., & Spoor, J. R.; in M. S. Poole & A. B. Hollingshead (Eds.), Theories of Small Groups: An Interdisciplinary Perspective; 2004; Pages: 241-276
- The experience of power: Examining the effects of power on approach and inhibition tendencies,; Anderson, C. & Berdahl, J. L.; Journal of Personality and Social Psychology; Issue: 83; 2002; Pages: 1362-1377.
- The study of groups: Past, present, and future,; McGrath, J. E., Arrow, H., & Berdahl, J. L.; Personality and Social Psychology Review; Issue: 4; 2000; Pages: 95-105
- Small groups as complex systems: Formation, coordination, development, and adaptation; Arrow, H., McGrath, J. E., & Berdahl, J. L.; Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications; 2000
- Cooperation and conflict as manifestations of coordination in small groups,; McGrath, J. E., Arrow, H. & Berdahl, J. L.; Polish Psychological Bulletin; Issue: 30; 1999; Pages: 1-14.
- Are men sexually harassed? If so, by whom?,; Waldo, C. R., Berdahl, J. L., & Fitzgerald, L. F.; Law and Human Behavior; Issue: 22; 1998; Pages: 59-79.
- Groups, technology, and time: Use of computers for collaborative work,; McGrath, J. E. & Berdahl, J. L.; in R. S. Tindale et al. (Eds.), Theory and Research on Small Groups, Plenum Press, New York; 1998; Pages: 205-228
- The dynamics of composition and socialization in small groups: Insights gained from developing a computational model,; Berdahl, J. L.; in M. A. Neale, E. A. Mannix, & D. H Gruenfeld (Eds.), Research on Managing in Groups and Teams; Issue: 1; 1998; Pages: 209-227
- Gender and leadership in work groups: Six alternative models,; Berdahl, J. L.; Leadership Quarterly; Issue: 7; 1996; Pages: 21-40.
- The sexual harassment of men? Exploring the concept with theory and data,; Berdahl, J. L., Magley, V. J., & Waldo, C. R.; Psychology of Women Quarterly; Issue: 20; 1996; Pages: 527-547.
- Time, technology and groups: An integration,; Arrow, H., Berdahl, J. L., Bouas, K. S., Craig, K. M., Cummings, A., Lebie, L., McGrath, J. E., O'Connor, K. M., Rhoades, J. A., & Schlosser, A.; Computer Supported Cooperative Work; Issue: 4; 1996; Pages: 253-261.
- Equality of participation and influence in groups: The effects of communication medium and sex composition,; Berdahl, J. L. & Craig, K. M.; Computer Supported Cooperative Work; Issue: 4; 1996; Pages: 179-201.
- Traits, expectations, culture and clout: The dynamics of diversity in work groups,; McGrath, J. E., Berdahl, J. L., & Arrow, H.; in S. E. Jackson & M. N. Ruderman (Eds.), Diversity in Work Team; 1995; Pages: 17-46
- Workplace mistreatment of middle class workers based on sex, parenthood, and caregiving.; Berdahl, J. L. & Moon, S.; Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues; 2012
- Warmth may not cut the ice but cold may break the ceiling: Gender, mistreatment, and advancement in blue and pink collar occupations.; Berdahl, J. L. & Moon, S.; Academy of Management; 2012
- Coping with workplace mistreatment: analyzing the discrepancy between actual and ideal responses.; Salin, D., Roberge, M. E., Salimäki, A. & Berdahl, J. L.; European Congress on Work and Organizational Psychology, Maastricht, The Netherlands.; 2011
Academic / Professional Service
|Editorial Boards: ||Journal of Applied Psychology, Organizational Psychology Review
|Regular ad-hoc reviewing: ||Organization Science, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Psychology of Women Quarterly
Honors and Awards
|2006-2011 ||Research Grant, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
|2004 onwards ||Excellence in Teaching Awards, University of Toronto
|2003-2004 ||Petro Canada Young Innovators Award
|2002-2003 ||Connnaught New Staff Matching Grant
|1999-2001 ||Faculty Research Grant, UC-Berkeley
|1999-2000 ||Junior Faculty Research Grant, UC-Berkeley
|1997-1998 ||AAUW Dissertation Fellowship
|1997-1998 ||University of Illinois Graduate Fellowship
|Academy of Management
|Society of Experimental Social Psychology, elected 2005
|Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
|Society for Personality and Social Psychology
Research and Teaching Interests
I study social power and status in groups and in organizations. My current research focuses on workplace mistreatment, broadly defined to include social exclusion, derogation, sabotage, and threat, as a behavioral means of maintaining and reinforcing social inequalities at work.
Twitter: @JBerdahl ~ Blog: jberdahl.blogspot.com
Login to my account