Stéphane Côté is Professor of Organizational Behaviour at Rotman with a cross-appointment in the Department of Psychology. His research focuses on how emotional intelligence improves the performance of individuals and groups, and how social class shapes the prosocial and ethical behavior of individuals in social and organizational settings. He is Associate Editor of Emotion and serves on the editorial boards of the Academy of Management Review and the Academy of Management Journal.
|2012- ||Professor; Organizational Behaviour, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto. Courtesy appointment in the Department of Psychology.
|2007-2012 ||Associate Professor; Organizational Behaviour, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
|2001-2007 ||Assistant Professor; Organizational Behaviour, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
|2008 ||Visiting Scholar; Institute for Personality and Social Research and Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley.
Selected Publications - Papers
- Emotional intelligence predicts success in medical school; Libbrecht, N., Lievens, F., Carette, B., & Côté, S.; Emotion; forthcoming
- Emotional intelligence in organizations; Côté, S.; Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior; forthcoming
- The emotionally intelligent decision-maker: Emotion understanding ability reduces the effect of incidental anxiety on risk-taking; Yip, J., & Côté, S.; Psychological Science; Issue: 24; 2013; Pages: 48-55.
- For whom do the ends justify the means? Social class and utilitarian moral judgment.; Côté, S., Piff, P. K., & Willer, R.; Journal of Personality and Social Psychology; Issue: 104; 2013; Pages: 490-503.
- Social relationships and intraindividual variability in interpersonal behavior: Correlates of interpersonal spin.; Côté, S., Moskowitz, D. S., & Zuroff, D. C.; Journal of Personality and Social Psychology; Issue: 102; 2012; Pages: 646-659.
- Higher social class predicts increased unethical behavior.; Piff, P., Stancato, D., Côté, S., Mendoza-Denton, R., & Keltner, D.; Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences; Issue: 109; 2012; Pages: 4086-4091.
- Social power facilitates the effect of prosocial orientation on empathic accuracy.; Côté, S., Kraus, M. W., Cheng, B. H., Oveis, C., van der Löwe, I., Lian, H., & Keltner, D.; Journal of Personality and Social Psychology; Issue: 101; 2011; Pages: 217-232.
- The Jekyll and Hyde of emotional intelligence: Emotion-regulation knowledge facilitates prosocial and interpersonally deviant behavior.; Côté, S., DeCelles, K. A., McCarthy, J. M., Van Kleef, G. A., & Hideg, I.; Psychological Science; Issue: 22; 2011; Pages: 1073-1080.
- How social class shapes thoughts and actions in organizations.; Côté, S.; Research in Organizational Behavior; Issue: 31; 2011; Pages: 43-71.
- Having less, giving more: The influence of social class on prosocial behavior.; Piff, P., Kraus, M., Côté, S., Cheng, B., & Keltner, D.; Journal of Personality and Social Psychology; Issue: 99; 2010; Pages: 771-784.
- Social class, contextualism, and empathic accuracy.; Kraus, M. W., Côté, S., & Keltner, D.; Psychological Science; Issue: 21; 2010; Pages: 1716-1723.
- The ability to regulate emotion is associated with greater well-being, income, and socioeconomic status; Côté, S., Gyurak, A., & Levenson, R. W.; Emotion; Issue: 10; 2010; Pages: 923-933
- Expressing anger in conflict: When it helps and when it hurts.; Van Kleef, G. A., & Côté, S.; Journal of Applied Psychology; Issue: 92; 2007; Pages: 1557-1569.
- Emotional intelligence, cognitive intelligence, and job performance; Côté, S., & Miners, C. T. H.; Administrative Science Quarterly; Issue: 51; 2006; Pages: 1‐28.
- A social interaction model of the effects of emotion regulation on work strain.; Côté, S.; Academy of Management Review; Issue: 30; 2005; Pages: 509-530.
- The contagious leader: Impact of the leader's mood on the mood of group members, group affective tone, and group processes.; Sy, T., Côté, S., & Saavedra, R.; Journal of Applied Psychology; Issue: 90; 2005; Pages: 295-305.
- A warm heart and a clear head: The contingent effects of weather on mood and cognition.; Keller, M. C., Fredrickson, B. L., Ybarra, O., Côté, S., Johnson, K., Mikels, J., Conway, A., & Wager, T.; Psychological Science; Issue: 16; 2005; Pages: 724-731.
- Emotion regulation abilities and the quality of social interaction; Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., Côté, S., & Beers, M.; Emotion; Issue: 5; 2005; Pages: 113-118
Academic / Professional Service
|2012-present ||Associate Editor; Emotion
|2011-present ||Editorial Board; Academy of Management Journal
|2008-present ||Editorial Board; Academy of Management Review
|2010-2012 ||Editorial Board; Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes
|2009-present ||Coordinator, PhD program in Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources Management; Rotman School of Management
Honors and Awards
|2012 ||Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching; Rotman School of Management
|2006 ||Dean's Award for Excellence in Research; Rotman School of Management
|2003 ||Aurora Prize Nominee for Outstanding New Scholar; SSHRC
|2002-2007, 2009, 2011-2012 ||Teaching Awards; Rotman School of Management
|2012-2016 ||Research Grant: Emotional Intelligence and Ethical Behavior in Groups and Organizations; SSHRC
|2009-2012 ||Research Grant: Emotion Regulation and Conflict Resolution; SSHRC
|2006-2009 ||Research Grant: Emotional Intelligence at Work: Associations with Key Workplace Outcomes and Training; SSHRC
|Academy of Management
|Association for Psychological Science
|Society for Personality and Social Psychology
|Society of Experimental Social Psychology
Research and Teaching Interests
Teaching interests lie in Organizational Behaviour, Emotional Intelligence, Decision-Making in Groups, Negotiation, and Research Methodology. Research interests include how emotional intelligence and social class are related to prosocial behavior and performance.
Login to my account