Julie M. McCarthy
Julie McCarthy is a Professor of Organizational Behavior and HR Management in the Department of Management at University of Toronto-Scarborough, with a cross-appointment to the Organizational Behaviour and HR Management area Rotman. Her primary areas of research include personnel selection, employee personality, workplace anxiety and work-life balance. In the corporate sector, Julie has developed performance management systems, personnel selection tools, and training programs on behalf public and private corporations. Her work is published outlets such as the Journal of Applied Psychology, Personnel Psychology, and Psychological Science.
|2017-present ||Full Professor, Management; University of Toronto
|2013-2014 ||Acting VP Research, UTSC; University of Toronto Scarborough
|2010-2017 ||Associate Professor, Management; University of Toronto
|2002-2010 ||Assistant Professor, Management; University of Toronto
Selected Publications - Papers
- Understanding the Dark and Bright Sides of Anxiety: A Theory of Workplace Anxiety; Cheng, B.H., & McCarthy, J.M.; Journal of Applied Psychology; 2018
- Applicant Perspectives During Selection: A Review Addressing So What?, What's New?, and Where to Next?; McCarthy, J.M., Bauer, T.N., Truxillo, D.M., Anderson, N.R, Costa, A.C, & Ahmed, S.M.; Journal of Management; 2017; Pages: 1693-1725
- Using Pre-Test Explanations to Improve Test-Taker Reactions: Testing a Set of Wise Interventions; McCarthy, J. M., Bauer, T.N, Truxillo, D.M., Campion, M.C, Van Iddekinge, C.H., & Campion, M.A.; Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes; 2017; Pages: 43-56
- Are Anxious Workers Less Productive Workers? It Depends on the Quality of Social Exchange.; McCarthy, J.M., Trougakos, J.P., & Cheng, B.H.; Journal of Applied Psychology; 2016; Pages: 279-291
- Why Anxious Women May Outperform Anxious Men in Job Interviews.; Feeney, J., McCarthy, J., & Goffin, R.; International Journal of Selection and Assessment.; 2015; Pages: 295-305
- Do candidate reactions relate to job performance or affect criterion-related validity? A multi-study investigation of relations among reations, selection test scores and job performance.; McCarthy, J.M., Van Iddekinge, C.H., Lievens, F., Kung, M-C, Sinar, E.F., & Campion, M.A.; Journal of Applied Psychology; Issue: 5; 2013; Pages: 701-719
- Managing work, family and school roles: Disengagement strategies can help and hinder.; Cheng, B.H., & McCarthy, J.M; Journal of Occupational Health Psychology; Issue: 18; 2013; Pages: 241-251
- Does goal setting have a dark side? The relationship between perfectionism and maximum employee performance.; Hrabluik, C., Latham, G., & McCarthy, J.M.; International Public Management Journal; Issue: 1; 2012; Pages: 5-38
- The Jekyll and Hyde of Emotional Intelligence: Emotion Regulation Knowledge Facilitates Prosocial and Interpersonally Deviant Behavior.; Côté, S., DeCelles, K.A., McCarthy, J.M., Van Kleef, G.A., & Hideg, I.; Psychological Science; Issue: 28; 2011; Pages: 1073-1080
- Are Highly Structured Job Interviews Resistant to Demographic Similarity Effects?; McCarthy, J.M., Van Iddekinge, C.H., & Campion, M.A.; Personnel Psychology; Issue: 63; 2010; Pages: 325-359
- Coping with Employee, Family and Student Roles: Evidence of Dispositional Conflict and Facilitation Tendencies; Hecht, T.D. & McCarthy, J.M.; Journal of Applied Psychology; Issue: 95; 2010; Pages: 631-647
- Progression Through the Ranks: Assessing Employee Reactions to High-Stakes Employment Testing.; McCarthy, J.M., Hrabluik, C.& Jelley, R.B.; Personnel Psychology; Issue: 62; 2009; Pages: 793-832
- Comparing the Validity of Structured Interviews for Managerial-Level Employees: Should we Look to the Past or Focus on the Future?; Krajewski, H., T., Goffin, R., D., & McCarthy, J., M., Rothstein, M., & Johnston, N.; Journal of Organizational and Occupational Psychology; Issue: 79; 2006; Pages: 411-472.
- Selection Test Anxiety: Exploring Tension and Fear of Failure Across the Sexes in Simulated Selection Contexts.; McCarthy, J.M, & Goffin, R.D.; International Journal of Selection and Assessment; Issue: 13; 2005; Pages: 282-295.
- Measuring Job Interview Anxiety: Beyond Weak Knees and Sweaty Palms; McCarthy, J.M., & Goffin, R.D.; Personnel Psychology; Issue: 57; 2004; Pages: 607-637.
- Is the Test Attitude Survey psychometrically sound?; McCarthy, J.M., & Goffin, R.D.; Educational and Psychological Measurement; Issue: 63; 2003; Pages: 446-464.
- How Useful are Work Samples in Validational Studies?; Jackson, D.N., Harris, W.G, Ashton, M.C., McCarthy, J.M., & Tremblay, P.F.; International Journal of Selection and Assessment; Issue: 8; 2000; Pages: 29-33.
Selected Publications - Books and Chapters
- Applicant Fairness Reactions to the Selection Process; Truxillo, D.M., Bauer, T.N., & McCarthy, J.M.; The Oxford Handbook of Justice in Work Organizations; 2015; Pages: 621-640
- Through the Looking Glass: Employment Interviews from the Lens of Job Candidates; McCarthy, J.M., Cheng, B.H.; Oxford University Press; 2014; Pages: Online First
- Applicant Perspectives on Employee Selection Systems; Truxillo, D.M., Bauer, T.N., & McCarthy, J.M.; Handbook of Industrial, Work, and Organizational Psychology; Pages: Forthcoming
Honors and Awards
|2015-2021 ||Research Grant; Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
|2011-2015 ||Research Grant; Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
|2004-2009 ||Research Grant; Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
|2008-2009 ||Wynne and Beryl Plumptre Research Award; University of Toronto
|Academy of Management
|Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Login to my account
SHARE THIS --