Negotiation is the art and craft by which decisions are made, agreements reached and disputes resolved between two or more parties. While analytical skills are certainly helpful, you need a broad array of decision making and interpersonal skills if you want to negotiate successfully in any situation.
Rotman's Strategic Negotiations Program is designed to help you identify, implement and sharpen your negotiation skills, enabling you to confidently and comfortably ensure a successful resolution to the conflicts, problems and disagreements you have to mediate in your daily interactions.
The experiential, hands-on approach of this program makes each learning point more salient by providing you with shared examples that illustrate concepts, models and theories. Beginning with the fundamentals and starting with the simplest of negotiations (those involving two parties negotiating over one issue), negotiation exercises will increase in complexity by phasing in issues, risk, ethical considerations and team and multiple-party negotiations.
The program experience combines multiple modes of learning to accelerate the development of your negotiation skills.
- Learning by doing: engaging in negotiation exercises where you'll have the opportunity to negotiate with peers and explore how effective different strategies can be.
- Learning by example: being exposed to real-life events that offer instances of success and failure, using video and case studies.
- Learning by self-insight: making self-assessments designed to explore the role of personality, ethics and culture in your willingness to use particular strategies, and how well you respond to strategies used by others.
Not only will you be able to take stock of your progress while actively taking part in negotiating with others, you'll also receive self-assessments to offer a deeper understanding of your preconceptions, knowledge, skills and abilities in negotiating.
By the end of this program you will be able to:
- Evaluate the success of a negotiation
- Optimize the value you can gain when bargaining
- Lead negotiating teams effectively
- Communicate and persuade at the bargaining table
- Influence success and create value in your organization
This program includes a post-program webinar hosted by the Academic Director. During the webinar, you'll review the key program concepts and have an opportunity to discuss the implementation of the program tools beyond the classroom setting with faculty and program participants.
This program has been approved for 28 continuing professional development (CPD) hours under Section A of the continuing professional development (CPD) log of the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA).
Who Should Attend
This course is designed to address the broad spectrum of negotiation challenges traditionally faced by today's executives. Participants from a wide range of industry backgrounds and all functional areas are encouraged to attend.
Professionals who will benefit from this program are:
- Senior managers in functional units such as marketing, consulting, financial services, and entrepreneurship that require skills in bargaining and persuasion
- Emerging leaders who want to increase their comfort-level when entering into negotiations
- Experienced negotiators looking for new techniques
- Leaders who are involved in complex multi-party, multi-issue negotiations
Fee: $4,950 CAD + HST
The program fee includes tuition, all program materials and class-day meals.
Before beginning the application process, please review the application policies. To apply, complete the online application form.
*Are you using Internet Explorer? Have you updated Chrome or Firefox lately?
Due to new browser security requirements, those using older or incompatible browsers may encounter technical difficulties. If you encounter a blank screen when you try to start your online payment process, please see our Having Trouble? page.
Apply NowRotman's Strategic Negotiations Program
Each application is reviewed by Rotman's admissions committee to ensure participants have the appropriate academic and work experience.
Participant Notification Process
If space is available and eligibility requirements are met, participants will receive a notice of admission within 10 days of receipt of a completed application and fee deposit.
A deposit of 50% of the program fee is required at time of application. The balance of the program fee is due 30 days after receipt of invoice or 30 days before the start of the program, whichever is first. Payments can be made online. Applicants will be redirected to a secure online payment website after completion of the application form. Deposits will be refunded to applicants not accepted to the program.
Rotman Executive Program graduates or Rotman MBA / EMBA alumni are eligible for a discount equivalent to 10% of the program tuition. In addition, partner discounts are also offered for some programs. Where program applicants are eligible for more than one discount, only the greater discount will be applied towards the tuition fee. Discounts are not redeemable for cash.
*Participants will be responsible for their own travel, accommodation and incidental costs. Participants requiring accommodation during the program are eligible for preferred Rotman rates at select hotels. For more information contact an Executive Programs representative at firstname.lastname@example.org.