Major in Real Estate
Real estate helps drive the local and national economy. Gain the knowledge and adaptability you need to excel in high-level professional and managerial careers in the industry.
Whether you intend to be a real estate specialist or a management generalist, real estate as an asset class is a key part of the vocabulary of business. The Real Estate major addresses all aspects of real estate development and investment — social, economic and financial. Master such subjects as real estate finance, property development, economics, sustainability and real estate law, on both the commercial and residential side.
"Bidding wars are caused by an economic boom. That said, they're here to stay."
- William Strange, a professor of Economic Analysis and Policy at the Rotman School, in an online article
Requirements to complete the major
You must successfully complete 3 of the following core courses:
- Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Economics
- Real Estate Investment
It is recommended that students choose electives that are broadly relevant to real estate. The following classes all develop modes of thinking that are relevant to real estate, and thus are deemed to satisfy the 'broadly relevant' guideline:
- Game Theory and Applications for mManagement
- Forecasting Models and Econometric Methods
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Business Law
- Options and Futures Markets
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- The Art of Modeling with Spreadsheets
- Marketing Research
Note that if an insufficient number of core courses are offered, a recommended course may be used in its place.
Activities out of class
The real estate major is designed to prepare you for careers in real estate investment, management and development. You may also wish to study real estate if you plan a career in development, private equity, investment banking, asset management, lending and consulting, since firms in other lines of business frequently own or rent significant property. A selection of real estate companies where Rotman MBA graduates have worked in recent years:
- DREAM Unlimited
- Build Toronto
- The Minto Group
- Oxford Properties
- Morguard Investments
- Brookfield Residential Properties
Flexible Internship Program
The Rotman Full-Time MBA Program provides a unique opportunity for students to integrate and apply management knowledge gained within the program through a 4-month internship. Students are required to complete the course “Applied Management: Placement” in conjunction with a work placement which may be done in the Summer, Fall or Winter terms. Depending on their academic area of concentration/major and career objectives, students will be guided on the best work term option to secure a placement with an employer. Throughout their work placement, students will benefit from enhanced communication with their host employers, tracking of project deliverables and feedback from faculty supervisors.
- David Lieberman, Associate Vice President, Avison Young
- Derek Goring, Vice President, Land Development
- Douglas Tipple, Principal, Creva Group Ltd.
- Ian Gillespie, President, Westbank Projects Corp., Vancouver
- Ian Parker, Senior Vice President, Asset Management
- James Shears, VP - Senior Asset Manager (Canada), Citigroup Realty Services
- Keng-Lam Ang, Chairman, Kerry Logistics Network Limited