Rotman Risk Management Project
An opportunity to gain real-world experience during the program
The applied Risk Management Project is a chance for students to tackle a real issue that is relevant and of interest to financial institutions. During a two-month period halfway through the program, project placements take students out of the classroom and into industry, allowing them to work in-house with practicing risk management professionals.
Experience the world of risk management first hand
A key component of the Master of Financial Risk Management program is the two-month project. This project is an opportunity for students to put into practice some of the skills and knowledge they have gained during the first few months at Rotman. The topics for the unique projects are provided by industry sponsors and members of the MFRM Advisory Board. Faculty mentors provide oversight and ensure that students receive the guidance they need throughout the two months, in addition the support provided by the sponsoring organization.
At the end of the project students present their findings to fellow students, faculty and industry sponsors.
Project titles, Class of 2017
- Alternative Long Duration Assets (ALDA)
- Bank Trades: Risk Factors & Exposure
- Capital Issuance Capacity following a Stress Event
- Comprehensive Capital Analysis & Review (CCAR)
- Choosing a Balance Sheet
- Credit Risk Scorecards
- Extending Interest Rate Models
- Forecasting Model
- FRTB: Exceptions to Market Risk Models
- Integrated Stress Solution Tool
- Interest Rate Risk in the Banking Book
- Liquidity Metrics
- Liquidity Risk & Leverage
- Margin on Derivatives not cleared through CCPs
- Mutual Fund Liquidity Risk
- Negative Interest Rate Policy
- Predictive Power of Equity & Interest Rate Volatility
- Real Estate Secured Lending (RESL) Risk Factors
- Retail & Commercial Deposits in an Economic Downturn
- Risk & Potential Role of Digitalization in Bond Markets
- Risk Frontier
- Risk with Retail Credit Card Customers
The following organizations supported projects, both in Canada and internationally:
- Bank of Canada
- Bank of Montreal
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
- National Bank
- Razor Risk
- Royal Bank of Canada
Would you like to become a project sponsor?
We are interested in speaking to organizations that would like to offer a project opportunity to our future MFRM classes. If you are interested in working with us in supporting MFRM students during a project please get in touch through our online form.