Arya participated in the second Rotman MMA on-campus Datathon and joined the MMA class which started in August 2019.
What made you decide to sign up to the Rotman MMA Datathon in 2018?
- I was considering applying for my graduate program, and business analytics is my targeting field of study. Rotman MMA program is aligned with my interest.
- Participating in MMA Datathon may help me be highlighted among a large number of applicants.
- Rotman is a well-known and highly respected business school in North America. More importantly, it has a strong connection with industry due to its location.
What were your fellow participants like?
They came from different education background, such as computer science, statistics, finance and business.
What was your highlight of the event?
I brought team members from different academic background and I was contributed to organizing the whole team in order to achieve the optimal teamwork efficiency.
How much of an impact did it make in your decision to choose the MMA program?
It greatly evoked my passion for data, and the desire to apply data analytics to solve real-world problems, which is aligned with my career goal of being a financial data analyst that requires both financial knowledge and data analytics skills.
What advice/tips would you give to someone taking part in our Datathon in 2019?
- Make sure there is a good division of work within the team;
- Use appropriate data analytics skillsets, such as SAS, in order to improve the efficiency of problem solving, since different kinds of datasets may require different data analytics toolsets to get a better solution to the problem.
- The Datathon can give you a comprehensive view of what is the MMA program look like.
- It can also give you an idea of how to solve real-world problems using data analytics.
- It is a good opportunity for networking with faculty and the industry panel.
The Master of Management Analytics is designed to give students the advanced data management, analytics and communication skills needed to become an analytics professional in 9 months.