Rotman FinHub Launch
The new Rotman FinHub has been created to bring together FinTech practitioners with researchers and students interested in financial innovation issues. The FinHub faculty members will conduct research, integrate financial innovation into their teaching, and work with FinTech practitioners to exchange and incubate ideas for financial applications of new technologies including blockchain, machine learning, big data, and quantum computing.
Tuesday, November 21, 2017
8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Rotman School of Management
Desautels Hall (2nd floor)
105 St. George Street
FinTech: The Next Chapter
John Hull, Maple Financial Chair in Derivatives and Risk Management, Rotman
Mariana Khapko, Rotman, University of Toronto Scarborough
How is Earnings News Transmitted to Stock Prices?
Charles Martineau, Rotman, University of Toronto Scarborough
Text as Data, Bryan T. Kelly, Professor of Finance and Robert King Steel Faculty Fellow, University of Chicago
Panel Discussion: How can Finance Academia and the FinTech Industry best Work Together?
New financial technologies are rapidly disrupting the financial sector bringing challenges and opportunities to FinTech specialists from the incumbent financial services sector and FinTech startups. The Rotman FinHub aims to facilitate the contribution of the academic community at the University of Toronto to the evolution of the sector. FinTech industry experts will discuss and debate how the academic community of the FinHub can contribute through its research, teaching, and broader engagement.
- Baiju Devani, VP Analytics, AVIVA
- Angie Elkhodiry, Vice President & Director, Risk Management, TD Asset Management
- Kesem Frank, Co-founder Nuco
- Pauline Shum Nolan, CEO & Co-founder of PW Portfolio Analytics
- Tanner Philip, Director, Corporate Development, KIK
- Andreas Park, Rotman, University of Toronto Mississauga
Panel Discussion: Getting it Done in FinTech: Working with Accelerators and Regulators
FinTech is transforming the Canadian financial services sector. Traditionally a highly regulated industry dominated by large banks, FinTech companies are rapidly revolutionizing many areas of financial services. This panel will discuss the current cycle of identifying, innovating and launching FinTech applications as well as highlight pitfalls, best practices and areas for improvement.
- Pat Chaukos, Chief, OSC LaunchPad
- Mark Majewski, Business Development Manager, Ontario Centres of Excellence
- Joseph Orozco, The Entrepreneurship Hatchery, University of Toronto
- Kristjan Sigurdson, Creative Destruction Lab
- Caspar Sinnige, Special Counsel at MaRS Discovery District
For more information about the program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.