Gain a Competitive Edge
If you’re close to completing your undergraduate degree and looking to attain your CPA designation, there is no better way to start than through a Graduate Diploma in Professional Accounting from the Rotman School. As a student, you will have the opportunity to complete the first four modules of your CPA PEP in a university setting, and benefit from face-to-face interaction with Rotman’s world-class professors. By completing a significant amount of the required CPA PEP modules prior to working full-time, you can avoid the stress of studying and working at the same time – a benefit to both to you and your employer.
Students with employment offers from an accounting firm before or after starting the G.Dip.P.A. should inquire with their employer about potential tuition subsidies.
The program leverages the strengths of the Rotman School, ranked in the global top five for research, according to the Financial Times. Rotman is located on the central University of Toronto campus in downtown Toronto, just blocks away from Bay Street and Canada’s financial and commercial centre. The program takes advantage of the depth of accounting expertise at the School as well as its long-standing commitment to professional accounting education.
Reputation: The Rotman School is in the global top 10 for finance, according to the Financial Times.
Location: Gain a full-campus experience in downtown Toronto at the historic St. George campus of the University of Toronto, just blocks away from Bay Street.
Professional Network: Classes made up of accounting students from all three campuses allow you to build a professional network that will help you succeed long after graduation.
World-Class Faculty: Rotman’s accounting faculty conduct cutting edge research in financial and managerial accounting, assurance, taxation, and related fields in financial economics.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
Appropriate undergraduate degree
Admission to the program is available to students in their fourth year of study or to recent graduates of the following University of Toronto undergraduate programs:
- Rotman – B. Com. (Accounting Specialist – Public Accounting Stream)
- University of Toronto Mississauga – B. Com. (Accounting Specialist)
- University of Toronto Scarborough – B.B.A. (Specialist in Management and Accounting)
University of Toronto students who are not currently candidates for one of the accounting specialist programs are required to take the following required courses to be considered as applicants to the G.Dip.P.A. program.
Important note to applicants outside of the University of Toronto: The accreditation that the University of Toronto has received from CPA Ontario specifies that only candidates with University of Toronto degrees, or equivalent, may be given advanced standing in the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP). In determining whether a degree from another Canadian university is equivalent, the Admission Committee will review each submitted application individually. Prior to applying, we encourage you to ensure that the courses you have taken meet the requirements for entry into CPA PEP.
Students may apply in the year following graduation, possibly with some relevant work experience.
Grade Point Average
- Applicants must have achieved a minimum B average in the final year of their undergraduate education.
- Applicants must have completed the courses required to qualify for entry into the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP) as determined with CPA Ontario:
- required core courses: a minimum overall average of 70%;
- each individual core course: a minimum grade of 60%;
- each individual non-core course: a passing grade or 50%, whichever is higher. Our expectation is that the averages of those admitted into the program will be significantly higher than these minimums.
If students are applying to the program in the fourth year of their undergraduate degree, conditional acceptance to the program is given based on the grades attained for the years leading up to and including the Fall semester of their final year of undergraduate studies.
Select applicants may, on a case by case basis, be invited in for a short admission interview as part of the evaluation process.
How to Apply & Important Dates
Applications have closed for the Spring 2017 intake. They will reopen in Fall 2017 for the Spring 2018 intake. If you have any questions, please contact our admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important note for students in their fourth year of study: we strongly encourage you to submit your application once your official grades from the Fall 2016 term have been released. Processing and review of submitted applications will begin only after the release of Fall Semester grades.
Tuition Fee & Financial Aid
The tuition fee for students entering the program in May 2017 is:
Domestic Student Fee: $9,850*
International Student Fee: $14,750*
* In addition to the tuition fee noted above, there are University incidental fees, including required and optional fees and Rotman compulsory ancillary fees to cover the cost of course materials. Additional Rotman ancillary fees will be charged on a ‘pay per service’ basis (i.e. registration in academic and professional development workshops etc.).
Please note that tuition fees, University incidental fees and the Rotman ancillary fees are set annually and are subject to change.
Students with employment offers from an accounting firm before or after starting the Graduate Diploma in Professional Accounting should inquire with their employer about potential tuition subsidies. Some accounting firms will reimburse their employees a portion of the tuition of an accredited graduate diploma program. The program provides the equivalent training for four CPA PEP modules: Core 1, Core 2, Audit & Assurance Elective and Tax.Elective
What to expect from the Graduate Diploma in Professional Accounting at Rotman
12-Week Summer Session, running from May to the end of July.
Classroom lectures and cases between 15 to 20 hours a week.
Students will complete a structured sequence of the following 5 half courses (2.5 FCE) on a full-time basis:
- Advanced Financial Reporting
- Advanced Taxation
- Advanced Topics in Assurance and Control
- Finance and Professional Practice
- Integration and Analysis
The entire program will focus on delivering the requirements from the CPA competency map including both the technical and enabling competencies as defined by CPA Canada.
The Best of Both Worlds
Rotman faculty include prominent academics as well as seasoned industry professionals. Students in the program will therefore learn both the practical applications of accounting from industry professionals as well as the current developments in academic research as they apply to numerous hands-on cases taught throughout the curriculum.
Curriculum design by prominent academics:
- Leading research faculty are directly linked to the curriculum development of the Graduate Diploma in Professional Accounting
- Academic researchers including Alex Edwards, Joel Amernic, Gord Richardson and Wally Smieliauskas serve as mentors for the various courses in the diploma program, ensuring that research and current developments in accounting are included
- The architecture of the program incorporates research developed by our talented faculty in financial accounting, management accounting, taxation, and assurance.
Access to seasoned industry professionals:
The faculty who are teaching in the program are:
- Designated Professional Accountants experienced in both public practice and industry in a wide range of business roles
- Closely tied to the CPA profession and CPA Ontario.
- Involved with CPA Canada and CPA Ontario in several capacities such as:
- Developing material for the PREP and PEP modules
- Teaching in the current PREP and PEP modules
- Teaching in Capstone 1 and 2
- Authoring cases and textbooks on various accounting topics
- Markers for the legacy and current professional accounting examinations
The entire Rotman faculty are committed to ensuring that accounting education is innovative and meets the changing requirements for the accounting profession. Please visit the webpage for the CPA/Rotman Centre for Innovation in Accounting Education for recent projects and initiatives.