How to Apply
Getting Accepted into the Rotman Full-Time MBA Program
Take some time to review our application requirements, deadlines, and policies so you know when and how to best prepare your application.
We offer acceptance to the Rotman Full-Time MBA program through several admissions rounds. Admissions decisions are made by the decision date published for the round during which you submit your application. Apply as early as possible to ensure your best chance for acceptance and scholarships awards.
Please be aware that admission to Rotman is competitive, and the class may fill before the final application deadline date. Therefore, while the final deadline date in the annual application cycle is May 21, it is highly recommended that applicants submit their completed applications as early as possible within the application cycle for the best chance of being admitted.
Applications will not be considered complete until all required elements are received. The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) should be written prior to the application deadline.
NOTE: You do not need to wait until an application deadline to submit your application! We process applications as soon as they are received. The benefit of submitting by a deadline is the corresponding guaranteed decision date. You will receive one of three initial notifications: invitation to interview, waitlist offer or denial of admission. However, when an application arrives between deadlines we begin assessing it within days, and a decision is typically reached in 8 weeks or less. There is no downside to submitting your application between deadlines. This can be a nice option for candidates who have had an unexpected delay impact their ability to exactly meet a deadline. We encourage you to submit as soon as your application is ready.
"Prepare for the interview, investigate in detail about the school and what strikes you about it, and (very important) be yourself."
- Alexdia González Vera, Rotman MBA student from Mexico City, in an interview for Poets and Quants
- Round 1: October 16, 2017 (Decision by December 15, 2017)
- Round 2: January 8, 2018 (Decision by March 2, 2018)
- Round 3: February 26, 2018 (Decision by April 20, 2018)
- Round 4: April 16, 2018 (Decision by May 25, 2018)
- Round 5: May 21, 2018 (Decision by June 22, 2018)
* To be considered for specific Combined Program awards we advise applicants to the JD/MBA, MGA/MGA, Skoll/MBA and Pharma/MBA Programs to apply by the Round Two deadline.
** All international applicants (excluding US Citizens) are highly encouraged to apply by Round Three in order to ensure ample time for visa processing after accepting the offer of admission.
1. Undergraduate Degree
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 in the final year of a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university.
- We require your official transcript sent directly from each institution where you earned a degree. Take a look at our Transcript Guide to make sure you meet official transcript requirements.
- If you studied outside of Canada, use the International Degree Equivalencies site to calculate your GPA.
Note: University of Toronto alumni and current students who have a transcript on ROSI do not have to submit an official transcript to our office. Please include your student number in the online application.
2. GMAT or GRE Score
- There is no minimum GMAT requirement.
- For average GMAT score and undergrad GPA, please see our class profile.
- If you choose to take the GRE, you can use the GRE Comparison Table for Business Schools to calculate your equivalent GMAT score.
- You can register for GMAT at mba.com and familiarize yourself with the test by viewing these free sample questions and practice tests, though we do not endorse any particular GMAT prep source and we encourage you to do your own research.
- Official score must be sent. Rotman’s Full-Time MBA test codes are:
- GMAT requirement is waived for applicants who have passed all 3 Levels of the CFA designation. Please request from the CFA confirmation of your CFA level 3 pass, which can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Work Experience
We recommend candidates have at least two years of full-time work experience but there is no minimum requirement. For average work experience, please see our class profile.
4. Professional References
Before submitting your application, it is required that you submit two requests for professional recommendation. Online reference forms are then sent to be completed by your referees. Full instructions for referees can be found in your online application.
5. Essay / Reflection Question
- Essay: Our Full-Time MBA Program at the University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management is best defined as a transformational experience. We believe that your journey begins with 'why'.
Please describe why you are pursuing an MBA? Why Rotman? Why now? (500 words)
Reflection Question: List 3-5 attributes or characteristics that best describe you. (5 words)
Required video interview (2 questions) with a new timed written response component (10 minutes in length). Check out our blog posts for more details on the video essay and the timed written component.
6. English Language Proficiency
One of the following:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized English language university
- TOEFL iBT (internet based test) score of 100 overall, with a minimum of 22 on speaking and writing. The Rotman MBA TOEFL test code is 8696.
- IELTS score of 7.0. You must mail us a hard copy of your official IELTS score report.
- Grade B from Academic English Level 60 at the University of Toronto English Language Program is acceptable in terms of meeting the English facility requirement.
Note: Students in India and Pakistan do not require further proof of English language proficiency if they have graduated from an English-language university.
All candidates who are admitted to the program will be interviewed. Interviews are by invitation only.
For more information on what we look for in our applicants, see What's Really Important In MBA Admissions, an interview with Managing Director Niki da Silva.
View Our Admissions Policies
For candidates who have received offers of admission, a non-refundable deposit of $5000 CAD is required in order to confirm your attendance in the Program by the date outlined in your offer letter. This deposit amount will be credited against outstanding tuition.
Requests to defer an offer of admission will be considered at the discretion of the Admissions Committee and will only be granted for extreme extenuating circumstances. Deferral requests must be communicated no later than April 30th for candidates with offers of admission for the Fall.
If granted, a deferral is valid for one year, and a deposit payment is required to confirm a seat in the Program. We are unable to defer scholarships and awards. Tuition is subject to change annually and will be billed at the increased figure, if applicable.
Students on the waitlist will be informed if there is an opening in the Program prior to the start of classes. If unsuccessful, waitlisted candidates may be required to re-apply as they are not guaranteed a spot in the Program.
Applicants who have been denied admission must wait at least one year before re-applying (it is not possible to re-submit an application within the same admission cycle.) Re-applicants should focus on the steps they have taken to improve their application and address any weaknesses in their original submission. It is important to note that there is no relative advantage, or disadvantage, for re-applicants, compared to other applicants.
Applications will not be considered complete until all required elements are received. The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) should be written prior to the application deadline and all candidates are required to submit a $175 (CAD) application fee.