The Board Effectiveness Program for Pension and Other Long-horizon Investment Institutions (BEP) is offered in partnership with Rotman’s International Centre for Pension Management (ICPM), and focuses on board performance support for pension and other long-horizon investment institutions. This learning program communicates the critical role these pivotal societal financial giants hold in providing economic security for their beneficiaries. The program is designed to develop the Board’s ability and capacity to navigate the growing complexities of the sector and improve business processes while continuing to build equity.
Board Chair Harry Keiley and I truly enjoyed the BEP program. It was one of the best educational courses we have participated in thus far. We look forward to sending other CalSTRS Board members in the future.
Sharon Hendricks, Vice Board Chair, CalSTRS (United States)
The program offers effective research, practical solutions, group networking, training sessions and access to skilled professionals, both academic and business, to guide the learning.
Bob Scheuber, Board Chair, QSuper (Australia)
The Rotman ICPM Board Effectiveness Program gave me new insights both from the academic presentations and the stimulating case study discussions. Here in Sweden, I have started to implement some ideas to increase the efficiency of the board that I chair.
Urban Karlström, Board Chair, Första AP-Fonden (Sweden)
A solid, comprehensive program delivered by top faculty members and strong business leaders. Senior participants from around the world bring diverse experience and perspective.
Micheline Bouchard, Board Member, Public Sector Pension Investment Board (Canada)
In partnership with:
This program is recognized as a Green Course by the Sustainability Office, University of Toronto for the 2016-17 academic year.
This program offers participants:
- An integrated framework to critically examine the following key strategic issues that have emerged:
- organizational mission
- roles of boards vs. management
- investment beliefs
- management of risk
- organization design
- human resource management
- A toolkit for boards that enhances excellence and success in their pension organization
- A clear understanding of the Board’s role in addressing key pension issues
This program has been approved for 28.5 continuing professional development (CPD) hours under Section A of the continuing professional development (CPD) log of the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA).
- Introductions, Aspirations and current Board Challenges
- Organizational Governance
- Rethinking Fiduciary Duty
- Boardroom Dynamics
- Organization’s Investment Beliefs and its applications in differing contexts
- Organization Design and its applications in differing contexts
- Financial Disclosure in DB Plans
- Measuring Financial Performance
- The Board and Pension Plan Sustainability
- Evolution of Risk Management at OTPP
- Compensation Policy and Management Effectiveness
- Enhancing Board Effectiveness
- Developing Solutions to major Board Challenges
- Presentations: Discussing and Evaluating Solutions to major Board Challenges
For more information about this program and details of each module visit the International Centre for Pension Management (ICPM) website.
Who Should Attend
This intensive, highly-interactive, strategic program was developed specifically for members and interns of the supervisory boards of ICPM’s 32 Research Partner organizations.
The admission committee will consider applications from individuals of non-ICPM organizations to the degree that
- there is room in the BEP offering
- the applicant has a relevant skill/experience set
- the applicant's organization is a substantial player in the pensions world
Each program offering is limited to 35 people.
Fee: $6,950 CAD + HST
Included in program fee*:
- all program materials and supplies
- completion certificate
- class-day meals (breakfast, lunch and snacks)
Apply NowRotman-ICPM Board Effectiveness Program
for Pension and Other Long-Horizon Investment Institutions