Disruption of the legal services market means that your firm needs a new, long-term strategy for business development and staying relevant in a changing landscape. Transform yourself, your department, and your firm with Strategic Business Development for Lawyers, jointly offered by the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management and the Faculty of Law.
This interactive program provides junior and mid-career lawyers with the sophisticated business training required for success as a Partner at a law firm. You will learn how to identify the strategic business needs of existing and prospective clients alongside practical approaches you can apply immediately.
You'll benefit from the expertise of legal, business, and business development leaders while working alongside your peers as well as our executives in residence, addressing the same issues facing the industry as a whole.
Through a variety of teaching methods including case studies, simulations, lectures, group work and class discussions, you will develop the skills required to become a key business resource in your organization - able to advance the business while developing your own capacity for advancement.
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for junior and mid-career legal professionals who would like to
- become more adept at spotting and seizing organic networking opportunities
- better identify business development opportunities
- clearly articulate the value they offer to clients
- draft personalized business development plans, and
- perfect their personal pitch both on paper and in person
You will learn the difference between strategy and tactics and find out how to use both to create and implement a business development plan that leverages your unique value proposition and your highest potential opportunities.
Upon completing this program you will be able to:
- develop and communicate your personal brand;
- present greater value to existing clients;
- identify new clients and sources of referral work;
- develop an intrapreneurial mindset;
- be more effective in developing RFPs and in meetings with potential clients;
- build and leverage strategic networks; and
- know how to ask for business
- end the discomfort of pitchy, self-promotional, self-aggrandizing communication
- begin genuine, authentic conversations that will have a transformative impact on your bottom line
- Executives-in-residence: Benefit from the real-world experience of senior legal professionals
- Recommended resources collection: Get introduced to all of the business development tools available to you, such as TED talks, articles, and books, identify the ones that are uniquely suited to you and learn how to use and leverage them for maximum success
- Answers to the most frequently asked business development questions
- Business development plan templates
- Top ten tips for successful business development
The application process for this program is currently closed. If you would like to receive more information about the program or speak to our Learning Advisor, please fill in the form below.