Directors often complain that they spend too much time evaluating the past and too little time planning for the future. In light of its central role in shaping the human capital of the organization, the HR committee of the board has emerged over the past several years as a key forum for directors to impact future organizational growth and success. The HR committee is central to future success due to its oversight role regarding CEO selection, evaluation and succession, CEO and senior executive compensation, and talent management and succession planning for the organization overall.
Rotman’s Board HR Committee Program is designed to provide participants with an understanding of current best practices regarding:
- The role of the HR Committee and the appropriate mandate for an effective HR Committee
- Effective HR Committee oversight of CEO succession, selection, and evaluation
- HR Committee oversight of CEO and senior executive compensation
- The establishment and support of effective talent management and succession planning processes throughout the organization
- Effective interaction and mutual support between the HR Committee and the Chief Human Resource Officer (CHRO) and the HR function more generally
Who Should Attend
The program will benefit:
- New board members, new HR committee members and other directors seeking to learn best practices and in so doing develop their ability to exercise effective oversight of the key human capital decisions facing their organizations
- Senior HR executives who currently support and interact with the Board Human Resources Committees, or who wish to prepare themselves for such responsibilities in the future
- Understand the role and mandate of an effective HR Committee
- Understand key challenges and issues on the agendas of the HR Committee in today’s most effective organizations
- Advance the talent agenda of their organizations by ensuring that both directors and senior HR executives are aligned around key HR priorities essential to effective strategy implementation
- Understand, anticipate and address issues essential to effective collaboration and mutual support between the HR Committee and the HR function
- Benefit from the opportunity to network with peers from other organizations currently addressing similar challenges and opportunities
- Create an opportunity for effective dialogue and mutual understanding between HR management and HR Committee members
Organizations who have chosen to send a member of their HR Committee along with their CHRO to the same offering of the program have found the opportunity for joint learning a particularly valuable experience.
This program has been approved for 19 continuing professional development (CPD) hours under Section A of the continuing professional development (CPD) log of the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA).
This program will be held at the Rotman School of Management from March 26–28, 2018. Program days begin with breakfast between 7:30am and 8:30am. Sessions typically start at 8:30am and end at 4:30pm.
- Introductory Case:
CEO Succession at HP
- Board Structures and The Role of HR Committee
- Effective HR Committees:
A Director’s Perspective
- HR Committee Oversight of Alignment of Leadership & Compensation Strategies with Overall Business Strategy
- Talent Management & Leadership Development
- Key Issues in Executive Compensation
- CEO Succession
- CEO Evaluation
- The Effective HR Committee:
Addressing Current Live Issues
- Panel Discussion:
Current Issues for HR Committees
Rotman Executive Program faculty are known for their ability to translate the latest research into practical applications for the workplace, and to transmit skills to participants with the best teaching techniques. Industry leaders contribute to our programs to bring your the most up-to-date best practices and a wealth of real-world experience.
Meet the faculty and instructors teaching in the Board Human Resources Committee program:
Fee: $3,950 CAD + HST
Included in program fee*:
- all program materials and supplies
- completion certificate
- class-day meals (breakfast, lunch and breaks)
Before beginning the application process, please review the application policies. To apply, complete the online application form.
*Are you using Internet Explorer? Have you updated Chrome or Firefox lately?
Due to new browser security requirements, those using older or incompatible browsers may encounter technical difficulties. If you encounter a blank screen when you try to start your online payment process, please see our Having Trouble? page.
Apply NowThe Board Human Resources Committee Program
Each application is reviewed by Rotman’s admissions committee to ensure participants have the appropriate academic and work experience. Applicants do not require a university degree.
Participant Notification Process
If space is available and eligibility requirements are met, participants will receive a notice of admission within 10 days of receipt of a completed application and fee deposit.
A deposit of 50% of the program fee is required at time of application. The balance of the program fee is due 30 days after receipt of invoice or 30 days before the start of the program, whichever is first. Payments can be made online. Applicants will be redirected to a secure online payment website after completion of the application form. Deposits will be refunded to applicants not accepted to the program.
Rotman Executive Program graduates or Rotman MBA / EMBA alumni are eligible for a discount equivalent to 10% of the program tuition. In addition, partner discounts are also offered for some programs. Where program applicants are eligible for more than one discount, only the greater discount will be applied towards the tuition fee. Discounts are not redeemable for cash.
*Participants will be responsible for their own travel, accommodation and incidental costs. Participants requiring accommodation during the program are eligible for preferred Rotman rates at select hotels. For more information contact an Executive Programs representative at firstname.lastname@example.org