Use design methods and techniques to find, frame and solve business problems.
Innovation for today’s business challenges. Business Design™ is evolving into the most prolific approach to organizational design and service innovation. Today’s leaders must be equipped with a mindset, skill-set and tool-set to creatively solve problems that focus on the user, customer or stakeholder.
This intensive program provides the fundamentals of ‘design thinking’ for business over a 2-day sprint. You will learn and apply industry leading user-centered design research, prototyping and storytelling methods to real business challenges.
Apply Now2-day workshop | $4,250 CAD
Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream, Business Design™ and Innovation
Dr. Angèle Beausoleil is a 'pracademic' who leads field (action) research inside organizations on innovation process design, navigation and management. She applies her 25 years of business experience to crafting high-impact teaching and student-centred learning experiences. Dr. Beausoleil is Canada's first PhD to focus on innovation literacy (innovativeness/innovatorship) using business/strategic design (design thinking) processes and methods.
Learn by doing.
Ideate, prototype and retest a real-world innovation challenge and truly get comfortable with the framework. You'll gain a design mindset and learn to build a business case for design.
By the end of the two days you will be able to
- use design methods and techniques to find, frame and solve problems
- think differently about needs, problems and solutions and
- understand how empathy, creativity, prototyping and storytelling are critical for business innovation
View the daily schedule
- Intro to design thinking methods and mindsets
- Intro to business design sprint phases:
- Need/problem finding
- Problem framing
- Problem solving
- Identify the attributes required for a design mindset attributes
- Learn innovation process phases
- Understanding the business case for design
- Business design sprint phase 2:
- Problem framing: prototyping
- Learn to create problem statements
- Learn how to use and apply “how might we” statements
- Understand the benefits of rapid prototyping with clients
- Business design sprint phase 1:
- Need/problem finding: design research
- Learn how to formulate need/problem hypotheses
- Develop your observational skills and unearth new insights
- Accurately identify motivations and drivers
- Business design sprint phase 3:
- Problem solving: storytelling
- Design-innovation presentations
- Learn how to build and properly apply user journeys
- Learn how to design prototypes
- Hone your ability to craft innovation story pitches
We’re here to help.
This innovative program focuses on understanding what customers need and how meeting those needs can drive business. Our expert faculty will guide you through every step.
Apply NowBusiness Design™
A deposit of 50% of the program fee is required at time of application. The balance of the program fee is due 30 days after receipt of invoice or 30 days before the start of the program, whichever is first.
Before beginning the application process, please review the application policies. To apply, complete the online application form.
*Are you using Internet Explorer? Have you updated Chrome or Firefox lately?
Due to new browser security requirements, those using older or incompatible browsers may encounter technical difficulties. If you encounter a blank screen when you try to start your online payment process, please see our Having Trouble? page.
Each application is reviewed by Rotman’s admissions committee to ensure participants have the appropriate academic and work experience.
Participant Notification Process
If space is available and eligibility requirements are met, participants will receive a notice of admission within 10 days of receipt of a completed application and fee deposit.
Payment and Fee Reduction
Payments can be made online. Applicants will be redirected to a secure online payment website after completion of the application form. Deposits will be refunded to applicants not accepted to the program.
Rotman Executive Program graduates and Rotman alumni are eligible for a 25% discount on this program. Discounts cannot be combined but we will honour the greater discount amount towards the program fee. For more information on additional discounts, visit RotmanExecutive.com/Discounts. Discounts are not redeemable for cash.
*Participants will be responsible for their own travel, accommodation and incidental costs. Participants requiring accommodation during the program are eligible for preferred Rotman rates at select hotels. For more information contact an Executive Programs representative at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send this page to a friend