To tackle the leadership responsibilities you face in today's highly competitive business environment, you have to develop new ways of thinking and new ways of managing. You must develop the ability to understand your organization's overall strategic direction, to think collaboratively and cross-functionally and to proactively set the agenda for change.
Rotman's Strategic Business Leadership Program is designed to help you expand your influence and effectiveness within your organization. The program provides you with the conceptual frameworks to set strategy, improve the quality of your thinking and decisions and lead effectively. You will come away from the program with a deeper understanding of how to navigate the increasing challenges associated with senior leadership roles.
The program provided insights into the challenges of the "senior leader" in several key areas such as team leadership, strategy, problem solving and value opportunity generation to mention a few. The team sessions were inspiring, with the biggest take away being the realization "I'm not alone" in the challenges I'm facing. The faculty are knowledgeable and experienced of the challenges of the business world, and keep the teachings real, relevant and practical. All said and done, the course provides an accelerated track of introduction to the skills and insights needed by those taking that big step forward to occupying a seat at the management table.
Director, Information Technology
Canada Lands Company
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for experienced managers, executives and mid-level professionals who:
- Are recognized as having potential to move into more senior positions working effectively across organizational functions and boundaries
- Are preparing to take on enhanced leadership responsibilities within their organizations
- Are moving from one functional area to a broader operational role
- Are moving into a role that requires a more strategic outlook
Participants from a wide range of industry backgrounds and all functional areas are encouraged to attend.
This program is ideal as a skill-refresher for MBA graduates who have been out in the workforce for five or more years, or who have recently been promoted to a position that requires cross-functional and cross-enterprise leadership skills.
Applicants should have a minimum of 10 years of work experience, with at least five years of management experience* and significant levels of responsibility within their organization.
*If you think this program may be right for you but you don’t meet this requirement, please call our Learning Advisor at 416.978.6586.
You will come away from the program equipped to think more holistically and to act more strategically. By the end of the program you will:
- Think more broadly about the success of the entire business unit or enterprise
- Understand the interrelationships among the multiple functional areas that must integrate their activities for the organization to succeed
- Understand the reasons why conflicting objectives are so common across functions
- Possess skills and approaches to facilitate effective resolution of the inevitable conflicts that arise in organizational life
- Develop plans and strategies to minimize conflicting objectives and reduce barriers to collaboration
- Appreciate the multiple factors both inside and outside the organization that drive strategic decision making
- Enhance your ability to drive innovation through application of Design Thinking™ principles
- Evaluate business challenges and opportunities systematically using Model-Based Problem Solving
- Negotiate more effectively to achieve personal and organizational objectives
- Integrate knowledge and skills in management cases that incorporates complex interrelationships among strategic, structural and people issues
- Diversify and grow your professional network
The program includes one follow-up coaching session that is designed to help you:
- review on-the-job application of program content, specifically your action learning plan
- to provide targeted reinforcement of learning.
Our model of in-class learning and individual coaching allows you to increase your self-awareness and close the gap between understanding and action.
The 1-hour follow-up facilitated discussion is expected to take place either face to face at Rotman Executive Programs or via a scheduled conference call.
This program has been approved for 35 continuing professional development (CPD) hours under Section A of the continuing professional development (CPD) log of the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA).
Our program's innovative curriculum highlights Rotman's unique approach to problem solving and decision-making. Integrating elements of model-based problem solving and design thinking concepts will transform your leadership potential.
- Daily Action Planning: We take you through a series of dynamic activities that will help you to see how to put key themes from the program into practice back at work.
- Dinner and Speaker: Featuring a thought leader from the University of Toronto on a topic that is relevant to today's business environment.
- Coaching Session during the program to assist in Action Learning Plan
- Post-Program Session: Half-day follow-up session to discuss successes, learning and challenges associated with the implementation of individual Action Learning Plans.
- Videos: Post-program learning reinforcement videos by the faculty who are teaching in the program.
- Featured BONUS: Personal Productivity for Leaders half-day session on carving out time for leadership and strategic priorities
The program is designed to accelerate the development of the cross-functional and cross-enterprise skills required of individuals who aspire to or are progressing to positions of increased leadership responsibilities.
The Integrative Leader thinks and acts strategically, incorporating skills and abilities that exist across the organization to serve the needs of customers and clients. They focus on key opportunities and challenges that have the greatest impact. They serve as a role model for the entire organization, both in how to think and how to act.
I started a new position after the program ended where I deliberately created a cross-functional team, breaking down existing silos to gain a better understanding of what is truly happening within our organization. Rotman's Strategic Business Leadership Program inspired me to reach out to customers and employees and to listen, identify and respond better to their needs.
Ghassan Abou Rjeily
C4 Advanced Solutions LLC
Rotman's Strategic Business Leadership Program taught me how to do things differently and provided me with tools to determine where and how I want to make an impact within my organization. Part of the program involved creating our own personalized Action Learning Plans. This was extremely helpful in examining my current challenges, to identify and frame issues, and then develop a plan that I could actually implement. As a follow-up to the program, the series of reinforcement videos served as a great motivation to remind me of the program's key learnings.
Chief Nurse Executive
Toronto East General Hospital
Each day includes time to plan for the practical application of the program content back at your workplace.
Some of the topics that will be covered include:
- The Journey to Senior Management
- Model-Based Problem Solving
- Strategy and Competitive Advantage
- Negotiation, Influence and Decision-Making
- Design Thinking for Innovation
- Building Strategic Business Networks
- Design Thinking for Innovation
- Cultural Fluency
- The Integrative Leader
- Coaching, Planning, Next Steps
Rotman Executive Program faculty are known for their ability to translate the latest research into practical applications for the workplace, and to transmit skills to participants with the best teaching techniques. Industry leaders contribute to our programs to bring your the most up-to-date best practices and a wealth of real-world experience.
Meet the faculty and instructors teaching in the Strategic Business Leadership Program
Fee: $9,000 CAD + HST
The program fee includes tuition, all program materials and class-day meals.
Before beginning the application process, please review the application policies. To apply, complete the online application form.
*Are you using Internet Explorer? Have you updated Chrome or Firefox lately?
Due to new browser security requirements, those using older or incompatible browsers may encounter technical difficulties. If you encounter a blank screen when you try to start your online payment process, please see our Having Trouble? page.
Apply Now Rotman's Strategic Business Leadership Program
Each application is reviewed by Rotman's admissions committee to ensure participants have the appropriate academic and work experience.
Participant Notification Process
If space is available and eligibility requirements are met, participants will receive a notice of admission within 10 days of receipt of a completed application and fee deposit.
A deposit of 50% of the program fee is required at time of application. The balance of the program fee is due 30 days after receipt of invoice or 30 days before the start of the program, whichever is first. Payments can be made online. Applicants will be redirected to a secure online payment website after completion of the application form. Deposits will be refunded to applicants not accepted to the program.
Rotman Executive Program graduates or Rotman MBA / EMBA alumni are eligible for a discount equivalent to 10% of the program tuition. In addition, partner discounts are also offered for some programs. Where program applicants are eligible for more than one discount, only the greater discount will be applied towards the tuition fee. Discounts are not redeemable for cash.
*Participants will be responsible for their own travel, accommodation and incidental costs. Participants requiring accommodation during the program are eligible for preferred Rotman rates at select hotels. For more information contact an Executive Programs representative at email@example.com.