The MBA in brand management allows students to select courses from a broad range of marketing areas such as advertising, internet marketing and international marketing. Specific topics include analyzing customers and understanding why they buy, gathering and analyzing customer and market data and developing successful programs for communications and distribution.
In the process you will develop an understanding of how customers make decisions and how to influence them, how to analyze markets and the strategies of competitors, how to develop successful advertising and promotional strategies, and how to successfully develop and manage a brand.
"With the advancement of digital and social media, marketing has become much more dynamic than ever before."
Milos Vranesevic, head of marketing at MasterCard Worldwide, in his interview for Rotman Management Magazine
The key to effective marketing is understanding customers and delivering what they want, when they want it, at a price they want to pay. This requires you to analyze both hard numbers and less structured qualitative information, to have insight into the reasons behind customer behaviour, and to develop strategy based on this analysis and insight.
Specific topics include analyzing customers and understanding why they buy, gathering and analyzing customer and market data and developing successful programs for communications and distribution. In the process you will develop an understanding of how customers make decisions and how to influence them, how to analyze markets and the strategies of competitors, how to develop successful advertising and promotional strategies, and how to successfully develop and manage a brand.
Requirements to complete the major
You must successfully complete four of the following core courses:
- Marketing Strategy
- Consumer Behaviour
- Strategic Marketing Communication
- Marketing Research
- Sales Management
- One to One Marketing
- Digital Marketing
- Marketing and Behavioural Economics
- Creativity and Business Innovation
It is also recommended that students in this major choose other courses from the following selection:
- Corporate Strategy
- Financial Management
Activities outside of class
- General Mills Case Competition
- Wake Forest MBA Marketing Summit and Case Competition
- the Internal Credit Case Competition
- Rotman Marketing Challenge
- Rotman Marketing Speaker Series
This major develops the skills required to be an effective marketer in a wide range of businesses, including consumer markets, business to business, financial services, technology, healthcare and the not-for-profit sector.
- Marketing Industry Day
- Marketing Case Interview Workshop
- Mock Behavioural Interview Workshop
Flexible Internship Program
The Rotman Full-Time MBA Program provides a unique opportunity for students to integrate and apply management knowledge gained within the program through a 4-month internship. Students are required to complete the course “Applied Management: Placement” in conjunction with a work placement which may be done in the Summer, Fall or Winter terms. Depending on their academic area of concentration/major and career objectives, students will be guided on the best work term option to secure a placement with an employer. Throughout their work placement, students will benefit from enhanced communication with their host employers, tracking of project deliverables and feedback from faculty supervisors.
- Jeffrey Zietlow, Mother Parker`s Tea & Coffee, Director of Marketing
- Annette Sullivan, Vice-President, Marketing, The Shopping Channel
- Bill Dertilis, Partner, Vicar + Tart
- Cybelle Srour, SVP Group Digital Planning Director, Energy BBDO
- Doug Collier, Chief Marketing Officer, La-Z-Boy Incorporated
- Douglas McGillivray, VP of Sales, Corporate Officer, General Mills
- Janet Biver-Carpenter, Global Communications Director, Leo Burnett Worldwide London
- Karin Koonings, CMO, Savers
- Marnie Peters, Sr Director Brand Development, Rogers Publishing
- Raja Shankar, Digital Marketing Head - IB, Scotiabank
Companies that recruit at Rotman
A selection of companies where Rotman MBA graduates have worked in recent years:
Back to previous page→