Why did you decide to study the Master of Management Analytics program?
I knew I wanted to go into Management Analytics for the longest time. I took a simulation course in my undergrad and we learned queueing theory and Markov-chains and I was hooked. It was so fascinating what the potential applications could be and I knew I wanted to learn more. I also have a business background from my undergrad, so management analytics combines my two favorite things! Everything just clicked together, and I knew this was what I was passionate about and it's what I wanted to learn.
What were your top reasons for choosing Rotman?
• The City – Toronto is one of the greatest cities in Canada with bustling life. There is so much to do, and Rotman is in the heart of the city. It’s a great place to live and gives you the chance to explore one of the greatest cities in North America.
• The courses – I really wanted to focus on my programming skills and the courses put emphasis on that.
• Rotman is one the of best business schools in Canada and at the time of applying, the MMA program at Rotman was ranked #1.
What are you looking forward to most in the program?
The practicum project! I think being able to work on a real data problem at an organization will provide invaluable experience. I’m really looking forward to it and learning everything there is about solving data-driven problems.
What do you expect to gain in your next 11 months at Rotman?
• I really want to work on my technical skills, like programming in python and writing SQL. These are my weak points, and I would love to develop them over the course of the 11 months
• I also expect to gain a world-class education that will prepare me for the working world after I graduate. Rotman offers different services that help improve any areas, such as interviews, case preps, or presentations.
• I fully expect to improve in my weak point areas and to master the areas where I already feel comfortable in.
How have you found the online experience at Rotman?
• It’s difficult at times, I mean starting any program or work online has its challenges. It’s tough to meet people and it’s hard to get to know your classmates. However, the staff within the MMA program and Rotman have done a great job ensuring that we are connected and doing well. From coffee hangouts to check-ins, they truly are making the best of this situation.
• The courses are still great. It’s not a big class that helps in an online setting, so you can get your questions in and your voice is heard.
Did COVID-19 make you re-consider your decision to study this year, and if so, what made you decide to continue?
Yes, for a while I thought about postponing my year. I decided to continue mainly out of hope at that point that things would be different by fall or even next spring. I’m still hoping out for the spring term. However, I also worked really hard to get into this program, and it has been something that I have wanted to do for the longest time. It’s a year, and I really wanted to learn and be in this program. I don’t regret it at all.
The Master of Management Analytics is designed to give students the advanced data management, analytics, and communication skills needed to become an analytics professional.