Hai Lu is a Professor of Accounting at Rotman. His research interests lie in the areas of accounting and finance, specifically the regulation of capital markets, insider trading, securities valuation, corporate governance and financial analysts. He has published in leading international journals such as Accounting, Organizations and Society, The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Accounting Research, Review of Accounting Studies, and Management Science.
|2016- ||Professor; Rotman School, University of Toronto
|2015-2017 ||Visiting Professor; Singapore Management University
|2011-2016 ||Associate Professor; Rotman School, University of Toronto
|2004-2011 ||Assistant Professor; Rotman School, University of Toronto
Selected Publications - Papers
- Market Failure and Reemergence: A Study of Chinese Firms Listed in the US; with R. Beatty and W. Luo; Working paper; 2017
- Option Backdating Announcements and Information Advantage of Institutional Investors; with W. Huang and X. Wang; Working paper; 2017
- Discretionary Disclosure on Twitter; with R. Crowley and W. Huang; Working paper; 2017
- Regulations and Brain Drain: Evidence from the Wall Street Star Analysts' Career Choice; with Y. Guan, C. Li, and F. Wong; working paper; 2017
- Green Disclosures? Social Media and Prosocial Behavior; with B. Su and W. Huang; Working paper; 2017
- The Benefits of Specific Risk-Factor Disclosures; with O.K. Hope and D. Hu; Review of Accounting Studies, 21 (4); 2016
- Rational Information Leakage; with R. Indjejikian and L. Yang; Management Science, 89 (5), 2014.
- Is Sin Always Sin? The Interaction Effect of Social Norms and Financial Performance on Market Participants' Behavior; with Y. Liu and K. Veenstra; Accounting, Organizations and Society, 39, 2014
- Price Shocks, News Disclosures, and Asymmetric Drifts; with K. Wang and X. Wang; The Accounting Review 89 (5), 2014
- Do Short Sellers Front-Run Insider Sales?; with M. Khan; The Accounting Review 88 (5), 2013.
- Investor Sentiment, Disagreement, and Breadth-Return Relationship; with L. Cen and L. Yang; Management Science 59 (5), 2013.
- Accounting Quality, Stock Price Delay, and Future Stock Returns; with J. Callen and M. Khan; Contemporary Accounting Research 30 (1), 2013.
- The Agency Problem, Corporate Goverance, and the Asymmetrical Behavior of Selling, General, and Administrative Costs; with C. X. Chen and T. Sougiannis; Contemporary Accounting Research 29 (1), 2012.
- Conflict-of-Interest Reforms and Investment Bank Analysts' Research Biases; with Y. Guan and F. Wong; Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance 27 (4), 2012.
- Direct and Indirect Effects of Internal Control Weakness on Accruals Quality: Evidence from a Unique Canadian Regulatory Setting; with G. Richardson and S. Salterio; Contemporary Accounting Research 28 (2), 2011.
- Brokerage Industry Self-Regulation: The Case of Analysts' Background Disclosures; with L. Brown and A. Hugon; Contemporary Accounting Research 27 (4), 2010.
- Wealth Transfer Effects of Analysts' Misleading Behavior; with G. De Franco and F. Vasvari; Journal of Accounting Researh 47 (1), 2007. Reprinted in Financial Accounting and Investment Management Edited by Werner De Bondt in The International Library of Critical Writing in Financial Economics Series Editor, Richard Roll, 2009.
Academic / Professional Service
|2017- ||Editor; Contemporary Accounting Research
|2015-2017 ||Associate Dean (Research); Singapore Management University
|2015-2016 ||President; Chinese Accounting Professors' Association of North America (CAPANA)
|2015-2018 ||Conference Organizer; Accounting Program, Asian Bureau of Finance and Economic Research, Singapore
Honors and Awards
|2017 ||SMU Internal Grant (CI, 2017-18)
|2016 ||SMU MOE Tier 1A Research Grant (CI, 2016-17)
|2015 ||CMA/CAAA Research Award (PI, 2015-16)
|2014 ||Hong Kong General Research Fund (CI, 2014-16)
|2014 ||The Lee-Chin Institute for Corporate Citizenship (PI, 2014-15)
|2013 ||SSHRC (Insight grant, CI, 2013-16)
|2012 ||CMA/Canadian Academic Accounting Association (PI, 2013-14)
|2012 ||National Natural Science Foundation of China (CI, 2013-16)
|2012 ||SSHRC (Insight grant, PI, 2012-15)
|2010 ||AIC Institute for Corporate Citizenship (PI, 2010-11)
|2008 ||Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) (Standard grant, 2008-11)
|American Accounting Association
|American Finance Association
|Canadian Academic Accounting Association
Research and Teaching Interests
Regulations in capital markets, insider trading, financial analysts, corporate governance, Chinese capital markets.
Login to my account
SHARE THIS --