The Rotman School as part of the University of Toronto collects, uses, maintains, discloses and disposes of information for the purposes of operating its programs and business functions in a manner consistent with FIPPA - Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Government of Canada Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL). FIPPA is the legislation in Canada that primarily protects personal privacy and public access to information handled at Ontario public sector entities, including universities.
The Rotman School values and respects the privacy of the people who register and attend its programs and events. Personal and other confidential information collected through our registration forms are kept in a secure environment with appropriate restricted access. Credit cards payments related to programs and events are processed through a secure environment.
ROTMAN SCHOOL EVENTS INCLUDED IN THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
- All Degree programs – MBA, EMBA, MFIN and PhD – and their admission teams
- All Rotman Faculty Departments and their affiliated research centres such as the Institute for International Business, Capital Markets Institute, etc.
- Desautels Centre for Integrative Thinking
- Rotman Executive Programs
- Rotman Events Team as part of the Advancement Team
- Rotman Advancement Team & Alumni and Development/Fundraising
- Rotman Management Magazine
PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED FOR PROGRAMS AND EVENTS
As part of the Rotman School event and program registration forms, the Rotman School collects personal information that may include:
- Name, address, email, telephone and other contact information, source of contact, session preferences, gender, dietary restrictions
- Information related to a registrants relationship (past, present and future) to the University of Toronto and/or Rotman School including degree, graduate year, program of study, student clubs and other related information
- Credit Card information for payment processing
- Website information: We collect the I.P. (Internet protocol) addresses of all visitors to our Website and other related information such as page requests, browser type, operating system and average time spent on our Website. We use this information to monitor and improve the Rotman School of Management website through Google Analytics.
- The School of Management Events website may use a technology called "cookies”. A cookie is a tiny element of data that our Website can send to your browser, which may then be stored on your hard drive so we can recognize you when you return. If you have registered with our Website, these cookies (1) may let us know who you are and (2) provide us and our service providers with information that we will use to personalize our Site in accordance with your preferences. You may set your Web browser to notify you when you receive a cookie. However, should you decide not to accept cookies from our Website, you may limit the functionality we can provide when you visit.
- Click Tags: Our Website may also use a technology called “click tags”. This technology allows us to understand which pages you visit on our Website. Click tags are used to help us optimize our Website and provide the best content for you and other future website visitors.
The Rotman School takes reasonable physical, organizational and technological security measures to safeguard the personal information in our custody or control. These include safeguards to protect personal information against loss or theft as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. Only authorized employees and agents of the Rotman School who require access to your personal information in order to fulfil their job requirements will have access to your personal information.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The Rotman School uses personal information to manage and administer our business including:
- Email, mail or phone mail event or program registrants to inform them about new and upcoming events or programs
- Sending out reminder confirmations to notify any changes and updates to event or program participants
- Occasionally the Rotman School will send out information about events or programs organized by a third party but that included involvement by a Rotman or University of Toronto Faculty, Staff or Alumni
- All online credit card payments are processed immediately on our secure online payment system, E-register. None of this information is kept on file or stored at the Rotman School or on its servers.
- Any credit card information taken over the phone as part of an event or program registration or at the door are not kept on file but immediately and securely discarded.
- Phoned/emailed/mailed/faxed registration payments may be processed on a Global Payments terminal to process credit card payments that are submitted directly to us. Once the transaction has been approved, we discard your information.
- In both cases, your credit card information is not stored with us and you will need to resubmit your credit card information should you wish to make additional event registrations.
Consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information may be given in various ways as it relates to Rotman School events and/or programs. Consent can be express (through event registration which is considered a business transaction, verbally via phone or in-person at an event, electronically or through the mail) or implied (requests for information).
For on-site or event day security reasons the Rotman School requires all event or program attendees to pre-register by providing their full name the minimum amount of personal information collected.
Regarding receiving regular email newsletter updates consent to the Rotman School’s use and disclosure of personal information may be withdrawn at any time.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The Rotman School does not regularly post program or event registration lists online. To be clear the format for registration lists consists of full name (always), job title and organization (if provided) and sometimes degree information or source of registration but does not contact information (email, phone or address).
Registration lists are shared under the following circumstances:
- The Rotman School may share registration lists (degree/year, name, job title and organization) internally with affiliated Rotman or University of Toronto Departments.
- Speakers – all of Rotman’s speakers are provided with a registration list prior to their program or event so that they can see who is in the audience.
- Posting a registration list is integral to an event or program. If a registration list is going to be posted online or shared with other registrants of an event or program, consent will be acquired before sharing that information.
ACCESS, CORRECTION AND CONTACTING US
Upon request, the Rotman School will provide individuals with a receipt of their program or event registration, including the information collected through the registration form but excluding credit card information. Before providing this information, the Rotman School will take reasonable steps to verify the individual’s identity.
If an event or program registrant needs to correct or update any information, they can send an email to email@example.com.
If there are any additional questions about this privacy statement, please contact the Rotman Events Team - Amy Fong
PRIVACY STATEMENT CHANGES
This Privacy Statement may be revised from time to time. If we intend to use or disclose personal information for purposes materially different than those described in this statement, we will make reasonable efforts to notify the affected individuals. If you are concerned about how your personal information is used, you should contact the Rotman School.