Get the competitive edge for your finance career
Over the past decade, changes across the global financial system have created a growing demand for professionals who can define, assess and manage risk.
The Rotman Master of Financial Risk Management is a focused degree designed for quantitatively-strong students eager to hone their skills for the innovation-focused economy.
"Risk management expertise is a critical skill required by all financial institutions. This specialization has never been in greater demand."
- Sonia Baxendale, President and CEO, Global Risk Institute in Financial Services
Offered over ten months, the MFRM program is designed to prepare ambitious recent graduates and young professionals for careers in risk management and finance. All courses are developed with practitioner input.
Transform your potential
In a competitive market, it takes serious focus, drive and leadership to take your career to the next level. Located just blocks from Canada's business centre and part of the University of Toronto, the Rotman School is ideally positioned to help you connect with top employers.
➔ Download the MFRM Program Brochure
Prepare for Career Success
of MFRM students (graduating between 2017-2020) were employed within 6 months of graduation.*
Rotman alumni worldwide
The University of Toronto is the top university in Canada according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021*
Our dedicated Career Services team is committed to working closely with you to achieve your career goals, and to develop the self-marketing tools and strategies that will benefit you throughout your professional life.
"In terms of the caliber of the class, you just need to look at my fellow students and what they’re doing now. They’re working in some prestigious institutions – the major banks, the central bank and insurance companies. They’re all covered."
- Jie (Jacky) Chen, MFRM '17, Investment Risk Analyst, OP Trust
Ways to engage
Our career services team will work with you to help you discover and define your vision for professional success. Through one-on-one coaching sessions, career development workshops and employer engagement events, you’ll gain the skills and strategies you need to achieve your goals.
Career services provides students with career support through a range of offerings:
Individual career coaching appointments
- Self-assessment and defining your career objectives
- Resume and cover letter review
- Networking techniques
- Interview preparation
- Behavioural Mock interviews
- Job offer and negotiation advice
Career and professional development workshops
- Crafting your professional networking pitch
- Advanced LinkedIn training
- Technical interview preparation
- Mock interviews with industry professionals
- Career panels and workshops in risk and finance
Employer engagement opportunities
- Exclusive networking events
- Mock interviews with industry panels
- Career panels
- Industry-specific speaker events
- Career panels and workshops in risk and finance
Online career resources
- Research tools
- Career development webinar and videos
As a graduate of the Rotman MFRM program you will have lifelong career support that will benefit you throughout your entire professional career.
Careers in risk
As a graduate, you will be well-positioned for career opportunities in risk management, as well as any area of finance that requires a thorough understanding of financial theory, and well developed quantitative and analytical skills.
Roles graduates have secured varied roles in a number of industries, including:
Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
- Investment Analyst, External Portfolio Management
East Coast Fund Management
- Associate, Investment Operations
Greystone Managed Investments Inc.
- Senior Analyst, Fixed Income & Multi-Asset
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP)
- Investment Associate, Capital Markets
- Investment Associate, Total Fund Management
- Investment Analyst, Strategy & Risk
- Financial Analyst, Risk Analytics
Bank of Canada
Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
BMO Bank of Montreal
- Assistant Consultant (Contract via Financial Risk Group)
- Senior Analyst, Counterparty Credit Risk – Platform Upgrade
- Senior Analyst, Structural Market Risk, Production Support
Central 1 Credit Union
- Credit and Counterparty Risk Analyst
- Treasury Analyst
- Analyst - Capital Risk
- Program Analyst, Operational Risk
- Regulatory Reporting Analyst, OTC Derivatives, Documentation
Royal Bank of Canada (RBC)
- Enterprise Recovery & Resolution Planning Analyst
- Global Trading Client Management
- Senior Analyst, Enterprise Risk Validation
- Analyst for Regulatory Solutions at RBC Investor & Treasury Services
- Senior Analyst, Group Treasury
- Senior Consultant, Financial Services Risk Management
- New Associate - Technology (Risk Assurance)
- Risk Management Analyst
- Verification Analyst, Financial Risk Management
Master of Financial Risk Management, Class of 2022 profile
MFRM classes consist of students progressing straight from undergraduate studies and early career professionals with a few years of related work experience. All students have a strong quantitative background, with studies in subjects such as business/commerce, engineering and economics. Classes are a mix of domestic students and international student representing a number of countries. A number of international students have previously studied in Canada.
53% of class with work experience
Average undergrad GPA
Not required for admission. Average based on scores from 20% of admitted class.
of class working towards professional designation such as CFA or FRM.
Business/Commerce - 55%
Math - 26%
Engineering - 6%
Accounting - 5%
Economics - 5%
Computer Science - 3%
Welcome to the Rotman community
As part of the Rotman MFRM class, you will find yourself challenged and motivated to excel by the calibre of your classmates — peers who will become your lifelong network of friends and business contacts.
As part of the Rotman family, you will also have opportunities to interact with our powerful network of students and alumni who are working professionals and leaders in the finance community.
Student life begins at Rotman with an orientation event. You'll learn about Rotman, meet your classmates, and get to know what you should expect from your MFRM experience.
Read about MFRM students, alumni and the Rotman School
What is it really like to be part of an MFRM class? Find out by reading about the experiences of current class members and graduates.
"Your classmates are the future leaders of the finance services industry."
- Djordje Calic, MFRM '19, Analyst, Financial Trading, TransCanada